Website Wifco Steel Products, Inc.
The Experts in Steel Fabrication. Access Solutions & Components for a Host of Industries.
Wifco Steel Products seeks an experienced Tool & Die Supervisor highly skilled in overseeing and creating, maintaining, and repairing quality tool and die.
Responsible for supervising the daily maintenance, creation, upkeep, and repair of all tool and die on the plant floor and serving as a role model, leader, trainer, and mentor to staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports the Company’s mission, vision, values, and goals in the performance of daily activities.
- Manages and operates a variety of CNC and conventional machine tools and hand tools to produce precision metal parts and instruments, repairs or modify dies, jigs, fixtures, gauges, molds, and tools.
- Oversees the maintenance, cleaning, and troubleshooting of dies.
- Works with the production department to identify tooling issues and requirements.
- Studies blueprints, sketches, models, or specifications to plan sequences of operations for fabricating tools, dies, or assemblies.
- Verifies dimensions, alignments, and clearances of finished parts for conformance to specifications, using precision measuring instruments such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers, and dial indicators.
- Sets up and operates conventional or CNC machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes.
- Files, grinds, shimmies, and adjusts different parts to properly fit them together.
- Conducts test runs with completed tools or dies to ensure that parts meet specifications; makes adjustments as necessary.
- Inspects finished dies for smoothness, contour conformity, and defects.
- Cuts, shapes, and trims blanks or blocks to specified lengths or shapes, using power saws, power shears, rules, and hand tools.
- Monitors expenditures in negotiating and reviewing all costs associated with outside tool shop repairs and maintenance.
- Assists with the maintenance and repair of machines that are broken or in need of troubleshooting.
- Orders material, responsible for correct inventory, and parts needed for tool repair and maintenance.
- Initiates and conducts preventative maintenance on all dies.
- Attends necessary production meetings to acquire up-to-date information and provide input where needed with regards to the tools and dies.
- Ensures effective employee relations, provides employee coaching and development, makes employment decisions, and resolves employee issues through problem resolution.
- Manages departmental performance measures and provides regular progress reports to management, and identifies, recommends, and implements any changes.
- Oversees department priorities.
- Plans and assigns work, professionally communicates and implements policies and procedures and recommends improvements in production methods, equipment, operating procedures and working conditions.
- Gives supervision, including employee hiring, orienting, training and development, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, retention, and discipline.
- Monitors Time & Attendance and Time Off in ADP TotalSource weekly, managing employee absences, holidays, vacations, and missing clock-in/out times and any inconsistencies.
- Conducts employee reviews in which recommendations will be factored into pay increases and profit-sharing bonuses.
- Improves working conditions (safety, quality, productivity, and cost) and increases subordinates’ skills and capabilities.
- Complies with OSHA rules and regulations, participating in health and safety documentation and training, and offering suggestions on improvements.
- Manages department housekeeping to maintain work area and equipment in a clean and orderly condition, including cleaning at end of shift.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
SKILLS AND SPECIFICATIONS
- Follows direction from Technical Services.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills (written and verbal).
- Excellent leadership skills, including the ability to train and motivate a diverse group of people to accomplish team goals.
- Strong team player.
- Effective time management, organization, and multi-tasking skills.
- Quality orientation and attention to detail.
- Exhibits creativity and latitude.
- Problem analysis and resolution.
- Inventory management.
- Possesses decision making and problem-solving skills in detecting how to fix any errors.
- Gives feedback and solutions to management.
- Has the stamina to work long hours on feet, often bent over in the same position.
- Demonstrates safety-conscious behavior.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum 8 years’ tool and die making experience is preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of leadership experience in a manufacturing/production environment is preferred.
- College education or professional technical training in tool & die repair or related field is preferred.
- Continues job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical publications.
- Experience using hand tools, gauges, dials and/or other indicators to ensure machines are working properly.
- Skilled with mills, lathes, die grinders, surface grinders, and other tool and die equipment.
- Experience working with large dies, including single, double stage, and progressive dies.
- Must have complete knowledge of production scheduling and shop operations.
- Proficient with a variety of concepts, practices, and procedures within manufacturing.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Regularly required to talk and hear.
- This position is active and may require standing, walking, and bending all day.
- Frequently required to lift and/or move items up to 50 pounds. If items are heavier than 50 pounds, seek the help of a lifting device, or request the assistance of a fellow employee(s) for a team lift.
- Machinery and tool operation requires the use of safety equipment to include, but not limited to steel toe shoes/boots, hearing protection, and safety glasses.
- Wearing loose-fitting clothes are not permitted in some areas, and wearing jewelry such as rings, bracelets, and necklaces are not allowed.
- The facility is not climate controlled, so heat in the summer and cold in the winter is a factor.
To apply for this job please visit wifcosp.com.